Mark Vrba has served as Project Architect and planner for a variety of projects. He has assisted in design and preparation of contract documents and provided support during the construction phase of projects. He possesses a working knowledge of the complete architectural process, having experience ranging from the conceptual stage of design to project construction and field observation. Mr. Vrba’s experience is a valuable addition to many of the firm’s projects. His responsibilities include participating in the process of overall planning and design of interior spaces, exterior spaces, project sites and urban environments. Mr. Vrba’s involvement continues through the production of contract documents and project construction.
Prior to joining M2, Mr. Vrba gained eight years of extensive experience in corporate and commercial interior architecture, residential design, construction and urban planning.
- Illinois Institute of Technology; Architecture and Urban Planning Studies 1989-2003
- What is your favorite project that you’ve worked on at M2?
- I have two favorite projects that I like for the same reason. The 11th Street Pedestrian Bridge and Columbus Drive Underpass project and Aurora RiverEdge Park. I enjoyed both of these projects because they provided the opportunity to take woefully underutilized park spaces and transform them into vibrant urban public spaces.
- What is the greatest risk you’ve taken?
- In my senior year of high school, I was awarded a full-tuition scholarship to study architecture at IIT through the ROTC Program. Shortly thereafter, I was informed that they had already filled their quota of architecture students and I would have to change my major to an engineering discipline to keep the scholarship. Needless to say, I went on to study architecture.
- What are you most passionate about in your profession?
- Designing public spaces, public places, and improved public transit. I am fascinated by how people use and enjoy public spaces.